Palestine Cinema Days launched the Palestinian Sunbird competitons during its 2016 edition to support and celebrate Palestinian and foreign productions related to Palestine.
Local and international renowned film professionals join Palestine Cinema Days every year as jury members to select the winning films and projects.
The three categories of the Palestinian Sunbird competitions are:
- Palestinian Sunbird Documentary Competition
- Palestinian Sunbird Short Film Competition
- Palestinian Sunbird Production Competition
The winning project of the Palestinian Sunbird Documentary Competition will receive a prize of $5,000.
The winning project of the Palestinian Sunbird Short Film Competition will receive a prize of $ 3,000.
The winning project of the Palestinian Sunbird Production Competition will:
- Receive a grant of $10,000.
- Use camera and sound equipment available at Filmlab Palestine during production.
- Use color-grading and sound-editing facilities available at Filmlab Palestine during post production.
- Benefit from Filmlab Palestine’s support in screening and distributing the film.
Artist, designer and filmmaker, Khaled Jarrar, designed the awards’ trophy inspired by the Palestine Sunbird. This bird has been pushed out of the diminishing green spaces in Palestine to urban overcrowded spaces. Against all odds, the bird managed to stay alive and cope outside of its natural habitat. This small Palestinian bird has become a symbol of resistance and resilience.